Some basics about what we believe:
- We believe the Bible is God's authoritative word and is without error.
(2 Timothy 3:16, Galatians 1:12)
- We believe the God of the universe is One God, three persons: Father, Son and the Holy Spirit.
(Matthew 28:19, Genesis 1:26)
- No person is righteous, all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.
(Romans 3:10, 3:23)
- While we were still in our sin, the Father sent His Son, Jesus as a sacrifice for our sin. Jesus rose again, conquering death.
- When we confess with our mouth that Jesus is Lord, and believe in our heart that God raised Him from the dead we are saved.
- When the Father looks upon His children, He sees the very righteousness of His Son, Jesus. This is good news. (Philippians 3:9, 2 Corinthians 5:21)
- Jesus is fully God, fully man.
(Hebrews 1:8-10, 2:17)
- God's Holy Spirit comes upon those who believe. (Ephesians 1:13)
- We are justified by the cross of Christ and not by our works, (Galatians 2:16, Romans 3:28) however our works can reveal much about our faith in God.
- Church is not a place but a people, a people put on this earth to bring honor and glory to God's name.
- City Life church is not more important than the church down the road or across the globe.
- True religion means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself unstained from the world. (James 1:27)
- The church is called to care for the weak, broken and helpless. Where we have not done so we have failed.
- Jesus will return the same way he left, although this time he will come to judge the living and the dead and restore the new heaven and earth.
(Acts 1:11, Revelation 19-21)
We should probably put more on our beliefs, however, wiser people have articulated it well here.
- We do our best not to judge certain sins over others, yet we believe the Church should hold each other accountable for unrepentant sin.
- We have people on all sides of the political spectrum so we do our best to stay out of it.
- We absolutely accept those who have been divorced, however we will not condone divorce except in severe cases as outlined in scripture.
- We believe the gifts of the Holy Spirit are available to the Church today but need to be used decently and in order.
- We believe Jesus is the only way.